How to treat someone if he/she suffering from Anxiety?
By Ahmed Saeed, Psychologist
Anxiety is a very serious mental health condition wherein the individual might go through a lot of issues that can significantly cause distress in their daily life functioning. Anxiety disorders are a category of psychiatric disorders that are characterized by anxious feelings or fear and worry, which are often accompanied by physical symptoms associated with anxiety. Anxiety can start being mild but can eventually progress into being really serious so as to cause an individual to sweat, feel immensely restless and tense, and can cause biological changes like perspiration and rapid heartbeat.
What are the few truths we can know about Anxiety?
- It can start with small worries and tension regarding our daily life functioning.
- It can be accompanied by other mental health issues which can cause the condition of the patient to get more severe.
- Anxiety is a mental health disorder and not a habit of simply worrying more or taking more tension.
- It can cause physical symptoms such as increased heart rate or palpitations, high blood pressure, constant sweating of palms or body, the tension in neck and shoulder etc.
- It can be managed by proper treatment and therapeutic measures.
Treatment for Anxiety Disorder:-
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy is thought to be the most effective therapeutic method for the treatment of Anxiety wherein the negative thought pattern is challenged.
- Process of Psychoeducation and insight building can help the patient know what the exact issues he/she is facing are and how to effectively address them.
- Psychotherapy is another effective process of therapy that can help the patient in knowing and understanding the underlying causes of his/her disorder and where its roots are situated.
- Medications are also effectively used for the treatment of Anxiety wherein Antidepressants, SSRIs and SNRIs are commonly used.
- The best way to go for treatment is to combine both therapeutic treatment and medicinal treatment.
What can you do for your loved ones who are going through Anxiety?
- Make them feel that you have their back and you are there to support them.
- Do not expect their anxiety or behaviour to change overnight just because you explained to them or asked them to change.
- Keep in mind that anxiety is a mental health issue and not a habit.
- Motivate your loved ones to seek help and take them forward for professional help.
How can MindPlus help?
MindPlus provides a holistic treatment opportunity for patients wherein the medical treatment is combined with various therapeutic and counselling techniques for better improvement in the patients. These techniques are combined with relaxation and breathing exercises, yoga and meditation and other daily routine activities which help the patient to come back in touch with his/her actual life and the happiness in it.